Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a cost?
- Food, lodging and transportation are provided. However, attendees are asked only to provide a $250 commitment fee. Everything else is funded by the generosity of our donors.
- The $250 commitment fee will be refunded a week after completion of the retreat. If you cancel after your airline tickets are purchased, or are a no-show, your commitment fee will NOT be refunded.
- If you make changes to your airline tickets (changing dates or locations), you are responsible for covering those fees.
- The lost expenses due to cancelations or changes are a big hit to a non-profit organization.
Who is eligible for the program?
Any Active Military, Veteran or First Responder dealing with PTSD or Trauma.
Can i bring my family?
Can I attend with my spouse?
No. Spouses, significant others, and friends are NOT allowed to attend retreats at the same time. Please DO NOT apply for a retreat with your spouse, significant other, or friends. You will be here working on becoming your best self and any distractions can take away from your experience.
If a retreat I apply for is full, do I need to reapply for a future retreat?
No. We have many retreats scheduled throughout the year and will find an opening and date that works for you.
How long are the retreats?
How large are the groups?
No more than 10 participants per retreat.
Do I have to participate in all activities?
We highly encourage an open mind and a team mentality and participating in all activities.
Can I bring my service dog?
Registered service dogs are welcome. We do ask that you provide up-to-date vaccination records and make sure they are groomed prior to attendance.
What’s the weather like in South Dakota?
No matter the time of year, South Dakota weather is ever-changing. We will let you know what the forecast looks like for the week of your stay before arrival.
Are all retreats co-ed?
Do I need to choose what programs I want to participate in prior to the retreat?
All retreat members will participate in all activities.
Are the activities physically demanding?
We have many outdoor activities that may be a bit strenuous, but not overwhelming.
What do I need to bring?
- Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, etc.)
- Gym clothes and tennis shoes for on-site gym (no street shoes allowed in the gym)
- Clothes for the season. Even during the summer, it get cool/cold in the evening.
- Summer – Bring layers. Shorts, pants, long sleeves, sweatshirts, jackets etc.
- Spring and Fall – WARM clothes. Hoodie, coat, gloves, beanies, etc. The weather could be 30 and it could be 80.
- Clothes and shoes/boots you can get dirty. We do have rubber boots available in case it gets muddy.
- Comfortable clothes for fireside time. Slippers are highly recommended.
Is there a laundry on site?
Can we use our cell phones while at the retreat?
Cell phones must remain in your rooms while you are participating in retreat activities.
Cell phone coverage at the lodge is sketchy at best. Please give your families our landline phone number in case of emergencies:
If I am flying in, who will pick me up at the airport?
Your retreat mentors will be outside the airport with a sign awaiting your arrival.
Are weapons allowed?
Firearms, edged weapons or other dangerous weapons are not allowed on the property. This is strictly enforced.
Is alcohol allowed?
Absolutely no drugs or alcohol are allowed on the property. Our program is a 24/7 alcohol and drug-free program. If you struggle with alcohol or drug use, we STRONGLY encourage you to begin treatment immediately. If you wish to recover from PTSD, sobriety is critical.
What happens if I have a question that isn’t listed on this page?
Please reach out to us on our CONTACT page.